With one year to go before the Rio 2016 olympics, we have an announcement to make, and would appreciate help in sharing it with as many people as possible:
The main objective of the Favela Brass project for the next 12 months is to perform at the opening ceremony of the Rio 2016 Olympics
Here are 5 reasons why we think that our children deserve a shot:
- To prepare for and play at the opening ceremony of the Rio 2016 olympics would be an incredible experience for the children and provide an excellent focus for the project.
- Olympic opening ceremonies represent and reflect the best all sections of a city’s society. Our children would be excellent ambassadors for the favelas of Santa Teresa.
- Favela Brass is a music school for Brazilian children, founded by a British musician in the time between the London 2012 Olympics and Rio 2016 and funded in large part by donations in the UK. In this way it provides a bridge between the two games.
- FB represents something innovative and new that is happening in Rio. We are mixing Rio’s percussion tradition with New Orleans’ brass tradition to create a style all of our own.
- The exposure that playing at the opening ceremony would generate for us would raise the profile of the project, helping us to continue our work into the future.
- Publicize the project and our desire to participate, through regular public performances, our own events and a series of short documentary videos about our journey on social media, all brought together under the #FavelaBrass2016 hasthag, and
- Try to establish direct contact with the artistic directors, organizers and sponsors of the opening ceremony.
For the reasons outlined above we think our children deserve a shot, however we are under no illusions about the scale of the task ahead. This is an extremely ambitious goal for such a new project, which will take serious amounts of planning, a lot of hard work and more than a pinch of good luck. If anyone out there thinks they can help us, please get in touch.